LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
RWS
User

Default New byf 41

Hi you all, it was great to find your forum, it gives me the possibility to share with you my new P08 purchased, but not paid yet. I want you to help me to value it.

It came from an officer, a doctor, of the Division Azul, the spanish fascist division sent to Russia to help nazis in their fight against comunism. They were spanish soldiers, after the civil war, and their equipment was german (weapons, uniforms, ....)

This P08 is new, I guess never fired except for factory tests. The grooves are intact and still blued inside the barrel. All parts have matching numbers and the holster has also never been worn. It is complete with its tool and a pair pair identical mags, full loaded both, one with civil RWS ammo and another with "ch 42" military rounds. Impressing the power of their sprins after 65 years loaded.

I don't know how to redimension the photos, so I beg you pardon Mr. Sabato, but I have to post them from a website. The RWS ammo box is from my collection.

Before cleaning:

After:

Please feel free to post your comments and expected value, I have to pay for it.

Thanks in advance.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
the gunman
User

" Very Very Nice Rig " Congratulations on your find. Where are you.?
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
RWS
User

Thank you gunman, I am in Europe, so the value you could provide me is just for an orientative purpose, here in Europe these P08 are scarce, you brought home all you finded after the WWII, though could be find with a little help and time.
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts

Have to agree, stunning rig.

'ch' is the wartime code for FN (Fabrique Nationale) in (then) occupied Belgium.

The value depends on the location. These rigs are more expensive in the US then they are at the European continent, although this is changing rapidly. If a rig in this shape came to auction, I'd hold my breath....

This gun could do 2000 - 2500 euros easily imho.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Steinar
User

It sure is nice.. And welcome to the forum!
But you might want to keep that payment on hold for a while RWS.. did you buy it as 'never used' ? Sure it's not reblued?
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally posted by RWS
Thank you gunman, I am in Europe, so the value you could provide me is just for an orientative purpose, here in Europe these P08 are scarce, you brought home all you finded after the WWII, though could be find with a little help and time.
scarce.. well that depends on where in Europe you are, your info does not say.

"over here" where I live, there is a lot more Lugers that people that is allowed to buy them, making the value for a rig like yours about 500EUR / 700USD. If deactivated it will be somewhat more (sadly enough..)
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
RWS
User

Quote:
The value depends on the location. These rigs are more expensive in the US then they are at the European continent, although this is changing rapidly
Thanks Van Vlimmeren, maybe you are right but on those unoccupied countries during the war are very difficoult to find. 2000 Euro?, WOW, I have not enough money!!! I asked shooting fellows about its value and some of them who had bought P08 told me about 1500 but in used/mint condition.

Quote:
did you buy it as 'never used' ? Sure it's not reblued?
I have not bought it yet, at least i did not pay for it, the propietary told me the history of it, this point added to my knowledge of weapons tell me it has never been fired, and it is not reblued. I took apart the old grease and I could see the still blued bolt head, rails, feeding ramp, .... Sure it is not reblued.

Please feel free to ask for detailed photos.
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Steinar
User

Looks like me and Mr Van Vlimmeren has a gap of value estimate like size of Grand Canyon
It's all about where it's located, and how the market is in that perticular country..

RWS; is the muzzle blued?
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Well, he doesnt, really Of course it depends on the location, but generally speaking:

Magazines are worth say 100 a piece,
The holster alone is worth some 250 at least, not to mention the loading tool.

So the holster + tools + mags together are worth some 500 alone (Euro).
A mint byf41 at some 1500 + the additional kit can easily raise at least 2000 Euros on the right spot on the European marketplace and at the right auction much more.

RWS, if you can get it for less than the price I mentioned, you are paying a very good price! If you get it for Steinars price (700-ish) you got the deal of the century. It's important to separate the shooters from the collectors.

This rig is in the area of high-end collector guns, not shooting material.
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

RWS,

You can reduce the size of your photograph images by using the Microsoft Office Picture Manager, or even Microsoft Paint... then you can upload them to the Lugerforum server so that they will not disappear for a very long time.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
RWS
User

Yes Morgan, blued with little traces of copper on the grooves. It is dificult fo take pictures, almost with my camera, but look at the bolt head and the ramp. I hope my english would be good enough for your understanding.

I thought about 1500 Euro, 1500 for a piece I cannot shoot, and I like to fire my weapons, would I be getting crazy?

Unread 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

As I said, if you get it for 1500, you got a very, very good deal.

There is always the chance of small parts breaking during firing, and this gun is just in too nice a shape to take that chance. Break a numbered part and your 2000 Euro gun will turn into a 500 Euro shooter in one 'bang'.

If you want a luger you can shoot, don't buy this one. It's just in too nice a state to be used for shooting. You can get shooter grade lugers for prices ranging from 250 Euros upwards.

Is the gun still located in Spain? If so, you could check the Spanish dealers.

I'd like to see a photo of the holster back side if possible. The back always shows more than the front
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
RWS
User

That's what I think, but it's like living with a vestal virgin of the Imperial Roma .... Maybe in the Netherlands is easier to find P08s but here is quite difficult. In few months EU new weapons rules will allow to sell/buy freely between countries, then I will ask you for one of these of 250 Euros, until then I will not shoot it.

Thanks Mr. Sabato, here is a left side photo resized:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...7152_copy1.jpg
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
RWS
User

Unread 09-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Now you just need to use the correct image tags to make it display... use "img" inside the brackets instead of "url"

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Haha, P08's are not growing on trees here, either.

Since I enjoy shooting lugers, I carefully selected guns that are nice, but not perfect, so I get to enjoy shooting them without the risk of destroying a high-end collector piece.

For 250 Euros you buy a mismatched shootable VoPo that will need a bit of work to sort it out.

Frankonia used to sell refurbished P08s for around 700 Euros a few years ago. These were in like-new condition, but reworked and reblued.

Collectible lugers will tip over the 1000 Euro border pretty quickly nowadays, the stressed prices in the USA and the low dollar exchange rate have their effect on the European market as well.

ps: The holster looks perfectly allright to me.

Anyway, if you decide to shoot it, don't use the magazines that came with it. These bakelite bottoms can be very brittle due to age and shatter during use. Also, carefully remove the grips and fit 'shooting grips'. The corners just above the magazine release button and at the safety catch can break off during shooting, possibly ruining a matching pair of grips.

Get a new Italian made Mec-Gar magazine instead, and a set of plastic VoPo grips or repro wooden grips (Nill Grips for example) for shooting.
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
RWS
User

No, I won't shoot it, it would be as hard as give up smoking but I won't. I will keep my few boxes of original 1934 RWS ammo as a part of the rig if I have to sell it in the future.

Some years ago I bought a K98, bcd 43, completely new. After several shots the stock was broken. I get another one from a wonderful guy in Norway, all marked, but now it's mismatched. I won't commit the same mistake although my kar is the one I fire on competitions and gives me excellent results.
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Went Blakely
User

Dang that is a nice rig, i wouldn't want to shoot that either
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #19
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Looked up Division Azul to learn a bit of history. Hope no one minds a link or two....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Division

http://www.wwiihistorymagazine.com/2...l-insight.html

That's a nice pistol!
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
byf43
User

RWS, what a beautiful set! Lovely looking. A top condition matching numbers byf41 would cost at least 1350 Euro here. With 2 mags and that holster I'd guess a price of at least 1800 Euro maybe more. But depending on who you ask it can vary a lot.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote