LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
cdmech
User

Default Shooting C96 Picture

My friend and I were shooting my broomhandle today and he took some pictures with his iphone. I can't believe the high resolution pictures that thing takes! I think I'm going to throw my digital camera away.
Anyhow, he managed to capture the ejected brass as it flew away in one picture. I cropped away everything else but the gun and brass so you could see it. I'm amazed that the case is just over a hand width away and the bolt on my gun has closed on the next round and is ready to go again. My finger is still down on the trigger. Man these things work fast!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Action Shot.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	25550  

cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to cdmech for your post:
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Douglas Jr.
User

Really nice picture!
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
alvin
User

If I could sell my S&W revolver, I will buy a C96 for range use. Nothing ejects from revolver when firing, missed some fun.....

Old way of using Mauser as a short carbine was hanging the stock in front of the chest. The belt of some "Jock" style stock frog harness was shortened, could that be the reason?? God knows.... I have seen at least 3 or 4 of those short belt harness.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
padredan
User

I really have to admit my old c96 is a fun shooter, just have not been able to catch it in a full ejection cycle. Yours is a great picture. thanks for posting it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00 590.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	25595  

Name:	00 586.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	25596  

Unread 04-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Angus Magnus
User

Good to see broomhandles in action! Mine certainly aren't getting much use lately, maybe its time to come out and play!

Anybody know of a good C96 forum? I remember visiting one or two dead sites a few years back, and googling now yielded no standalone C96 sites.

Padredan: hows the hammerbite using that grip style with the stock mounted?
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Magnus View Post
Anybody know of a good C96 forum?
Exactly Here, in this column of this forum.

Forum quality depends on members. Usually, Luger collectors also have a few C96s in collection. Those two types of pistols are closely related, and they 'compensate' each other.

WE CAN DO IT..... at least we can try it.
The following 2 members says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Check Yahoo Groups. There is an active following there. Not as wonderful as this one of course...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
cdmech
User

Quote:
Padredan: hows the hammerbite using that grip style with the stock mounted?
I tell you the hammer bit me good shooting it.. I've since seen a better way to hold it in a youtube video. Here's the whole picture. I wish I could post it in it's full resolution, It's just incredible the quality of picture my friend's iphone took.
Marc
Unread 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
padredan
User

Yes, the new phones are up to about 14 meg or so now. Note the difference between my hold and that of a female shooter in the pictures. once you get hammer bit once or twice you will learn to watch out for it, something you will become aware of very quickly, broomies can bite. These pics were taken in high def, not sure i like the effect, but it shows great detail . my c96 is an actual world war two bring back passed to me by my unckle, a member of the 101st abn, who made the night jump into france and the day jump into holland. he got the c96 somewhere in belguim late 1944 as best he could recall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00 591.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	25601  

Name:	00 579.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	25602  

Unread 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Angus Magnus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
Yes, the new phones are up to about 14 meg or so now. Note the difference between my hold and that of a female shooter in the pictures. once you get hammer bit once or twice you will learn to watch out for it, something you will become aware of very quickly, broomies can bite. These pics were taken in high def, not sure i like the effect, but it shows great detail . my c96 is an actual world war two bring back passed to me by my unckle, a member of the 101st abn, who made the night jump into france and the day jump into holland. he got the c96 somewhere in belguim late 1944 as best he could recall.
I have never fired a broomhandle with a stock, but I can imagine the thumb being that close to the hammer could be a real treat. The square back of the grip is already not the most comfortable, and on more than one occasion my webbing was tickled by the hammer. I hope to sometime this year receive an original stock and leather harness that's been promised me, so I hope to soon experience the joy!

I have two broomhandles: an earlier sn#43xxx that's been reblued and relined, and a model 1930 sn918xxx still with original rifling about 85% and original finish turned brown. The reline is inaccurate and unreliable, jamming about every third shot. I have changed the springs out and can only attribute it to the liner's sharp chamber edges. The other pistol shoots very tight groups, but always to the right.

I'm a huge fan of the C96 as an intriguing, intricate, historic, and almost humorous looking device, but I couldn't imagine being in the WW1 era and choosing a semiautomatic broomhandle (even if it did fire the most powerful cartridge) over a Luger, 1911, or Webley.

If you notice the sight on the bottom pistol has been removed. I bought a second sight to try and correct the windage, but cant seem to get the leaf spring out to add the slider. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
cdmech
User

In the video I saw on youtube, the shooter's thumb remained on the right side of the gun. I tried it and it works, you just basically hold the gun with your left.
Marc
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
alvin
User

Large pistols like C96 and LP08 had filled in the gap between machine gun (fast firing but bulky and heavy, which was almost a fixed position facility), and bolt action rifle (slow firing), before submachine gun became popular. With effective range of 100-150 meters, they were "assault pistols" in that era. In contrast, regular 4" Lugers, 1911, and revolvers were more 5-10 meter self-defense oriented in action.

====

And, C96's feature is more like a mini-rifle than a pistol: a rifle like bolt, detachable stock, magazine in the front, and loading from a clip etc. LP08 is more like a pistol. Say, C96 was designed by rifle masters, not very surprising.

The magazine feeding style of this pistol is like that of Mauser rifle as well. Not only cartridges are arranged in two columns, they also feed from both sides, alternatively. Not many pistols feed this way.

On rifle, it's common to see stock having hallow space to store accessaries, e.g. cleaning kit. If the gun was small, why not store the whole gun in the stock.... Could this be the reason this pistol's stock playing two roles in design? God knows. It's a guesstimation.

Last edited by alvin; 04-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Patronen
User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShTtkSRAurU

Look for 1:13 & 1:39

I don't know if this one was an Astra or Mauser but it was fun to watch in this classic Duke film.
Patronen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Patronen for your post:
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
padredan
User

neat clip, i had forgot he even made that movie. nice shots of the colt diamondback revolver and you can see his montonyard bracelet well.
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Patronen
User

I wanted to buy a Python and a Diamondback for the longest time when I first watched that movie.
There is a Luger sighting early in the movie too.

Dave
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post
I don't know if this one was an Astra or Mauser but it was fun to watch in this classic Duke film.
Mauser Schnellfeuer. Collectors call this one "Westinger", "712", "1932" etc, different names, same thing.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
Patronen
User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJXaRTIG9o

0:51 Early Broomhandle sighting

Dave
The following member says Thank You to Patronen for your post:
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
If you notice the sight on the bottom pistol has been removed. I bought a second sight to try and correct the windage, but cant seem to get the leaf spring out to add the slider. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
On one of my C96's, I had to use a clamp to hold down the leaf/spring and simultaneously tap it out with a brass drift...I had the receiver extension held in a padded vise (my mill vise)...

I substituted another leaf spring and it does not require all that work...

You basically have to push the sight leaf all the way down to get it lined up with the channel and then push/tap it out...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Douglas Jr.
User

For those who likes movies and guns here is THE ultimate site:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun!

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post: