LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-22-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
naugler
User

Default literature?

Hi all, can anyone recommend any good manuals, literature (etc.) for a newbie on Lugers? I already have a copy of "The Luger Story" - but any other recommendations for publication(s) or manuals would be greatly apprechiated.
thanks
naugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Naugler,

Read this discussion http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ighlight=books for a comprehensive answer.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
DougT
User

naugler, I like "Luger Tips" by Reese--it is a really great "jump into" book, and "Lugers at Random" by Kenyon is the must have "Luger Bible". Ralph Shattuck has a great little book with some terrific artwork to boot. I have several other Luger books, and I enjoy them all. The Jan Still books are highly recommended by others on this forum, but I haven't purchased any of them yet. You can never have too many Lugers or too many Luger books. Have fun!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

The discussion that Dwight pointed out probably has my same comments, but order of books to buy is below for me;

Stills books, depending on which era, for me, I have Weimar Lugers literally with me and I am traveling for work.

Kenyon's are fine, not enough info for me, but I like his.

I like Walters for his different view (he's a brit), tells more background info.

Jones and Datig are both good, but very dated, so there are wrong things in them.

Reese's books are fine, I have them, but he doesn't go into enough detail for me.

I eventually bought Gibson's Krieghoff book, it is great for the detail of him comparing the different type of guns. Don't have a krieg, so...

Guess, maybe I should write a book on Simson's, everything else has been done. Make note to myself, that everyone who has a Simson, please send me an e-mail so i can start researching them...

DougT is right, you can never have enough books, the comment about too many lugers, well, that is a given!
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Luke
User

As a newbie some 3 years ago, I bought all of them; but my favorites are the books by Jan Still and Kenyon.

You simply cannot read too much, and where you find issues or conflicts, bring your questions to the Forum. Some of the world's experts (certainly not I, but others) are here.

Best of luck.
Luke
Unread 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Navy
RIP

All,

There will hopefully be a new title to add to the list in the future as I am in negotiations with a publishing house for one on Navy pistols and their accoutrements.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
DougT
User

Way to go Tom A., when do you think this will happen? A book on Navys would be great!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Navy
RIP

Have agreement commited to in principal with publisher; time line for production is 12-18 months, Anticipate approx 200 pages, probably 200 or so photographs, 16 pages of color plates. Target retail price will be <$75 so it is affordable.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote