LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
saginawmetro
New User

Default Luger value with document??

Hello,
I got handed down a 1936 luger with a document signed by a commander stating my uncle could keep the gun I guess. the document was never laminated just folded and kept between pages of a book. All the serial numbers match on the gun and it looks like it wasn't fired much at all.
My question is would the signed document add a lot of value to this for a ww2 collector?
I will take pics and post soon. Please advise on how to post pics to get the most accurate est of value. closeups of all areas of gun and document also?
Let me know and thanks,

Terry
saginawmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Railsplitter
User

Yes, "Bring Back Papers" or "Capture Papers" do add to the value of the gun, but I have never purchased a gun with capture papers so I hesitate to say how much. More importantly they add to the provenance of the piece. I know less about taking / posting photos to the Forum as I have never done that either. I'm sure a more photo savvy member will help you out. But, hey, I can welcome you to the Forum!! I do know how to do that!! Welcome to the Forum!!
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Yes, they do add value, but try as I may, I've never got a straight answer as to how much. I'll go out on my limb a bit here, and say that if I was willing to pay $1400 for a Luger, I'd probably pay an extra $200 if it had papers. I don't know if that is correct, it's just what it would add to the package value in my little world.
Hope this helps.

dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts

Since vet bring back paperwork can be faked, many collectors are not willing to pay extra for it.

That said, I know collectors that like this typeof thing will generally pay $50-$100 more for one with papers, perhaps more if there is more documentation (enlistment papers, discharge papers, photos of the GI, etc)

And, never, ever, never, laminate any paperwork, it will immediatly be worthless as a collectable, because over time the paperwork will yellow. And most bringback papers were on very thin, crappy paper anyway. So take it, possibly treat it with some acid reducing / acid free mixture (you can look this up on google, preserving old documents and / or reducing acid out of the document) and then place into a document holder, preferably one that is made for old paperwork.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Railsplitter
User

I went to the local craft store and bought two pieces of 6"X9" plexiglass, put the capture paper between them and used four small binder clips on the vertical edges at the corners to hold the plexiglass sheets together. Probably not the best from a preservation standpoint, but if you flip two of the "arms" of the binder clips out to the side they will mate perfectly with pegboard holes and makes a great way to display the papers ... provided the gun also hangs on pegboard that is.
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote