LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
tkr930
User

Default An unconventional way

Howdy folks!

I´m new to this forum but I already just love it! Tons of good information and stories

So here we go:

I was at the range enjoying my Luger. At a point I noticed that the trigger became very hard to activate and finally the gun did not fired. I unloaded the gun and field stripped it.

The firing pin was broken! NOOOO ! With all parts having matching numbers this was a catastrophe...

I went home angry at myself because ruining a nice gun. Well at home my kids were watching one of Mr, Beans comedy movies and I felt that well why not enjoy them...

One part in the movie Mr Bean holds a tombola ticket numbered 616 but the winning number is 919. So he gets disapointed untill he realize that he was holding the ticket upside down (!). An excellent movie which I recommend.

So I was thinking if I could be so lucky as him regarding my serial number for my broken firing pin. So only for the sake I looked at my guns serial number ang guess what? It is 8968

So either 68 or 98 will work. Emailed a company regarding this and they had a pin with matching number for sale

I´m amazed in how incredible things sometimes are in life.

Best regards,
Marius

Sweden
tkr930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Congratulations on your good fortune Marius.
But remember, the next time you may not be so fortunate. Not all parts can be turned up-side-down.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr930 View Post
... So only for the sake I looked at my guns serial number ang guess what? It is 8968

So either 68 or 98 will work.
? "68", upside down, would be "89". Typo?

Also, depending on the font, a "6" can be different from a "9". And if the two lobes of an "8" are different size, the smaller is on top. Check with magnification to see if the fonts match, and do indeed present identically shaped characters. If not, it'll still work at a glance. Anyway, to come this close, you've beaten the odds at 98--or 99--to one, against. Great find!
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You might realize the number is properly read from the rear of the firing pin, so it does make a difference.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Frank for your post:
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
alvin
User

Wartime made gun? The steel quality of small parts made in wartime is very questionable. At least on a few instances that I fired. e.g. I just fired 200 rounds from a pistol made during WWI, the safety lever was shaken broken -- that's right, it's not even touched in the process, just by shaking. Fortunately, the thing was not a numbered part. Military acceptance procedure could measure exterior physical dimension, but I doubt they measured the physical strength or checked hidden cracks on steel.

====

Or, is it a pre war instance?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
tkr930
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Wartime made gun? The steel quality of small parts made in wartime is very questionable. At least on a few instances that I fired. e.g. I just fired 200 rounds from a pistol made during WWI, the safety lever was shaken broken -- that's right, it's not even touched in the process, just by shaking. Fortunately, the thing was not a numbered part. Military acceptance procedure could measure exterior physical dimension, but I doubt they measured the physical strength or checked hidden cracks on steel.

====

Or, is it a pre war instance?
The gun is made in 1938, and is (relatively spoken) in good condition. The former owner engraved his initials on the left side, which is a pity but nothing to do about it.

I asked a friend of mine whom has experience in Lugers which parts can broke. His answer was: basically everything. I guess this "its on the house" when enjoying a Luger.

By the way thank you for your input.

marius
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
tkr930
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
? "68", upside down, would be "89". Typo?

Also, depending on the font, a "6" can be different from a "9". And if the two lobes of an "8" are different size, the smaller is on top. Check with magnification to see if the fonts match, and do indeed present identically shaped characters. If not, it'll still work at a glance. Anyway, to come this close, you've beaten the odds at 98--or 99--to one, against. Great find!
Thank you for your input! I have to check this out as soon I get the parts. I have the broken pin and this will follow the gun, (even if its of no use) since it belongs to it.

I´m not sure if the firing pin can be repaired, welding it may work but will be certainly very difficult.
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
tkr930
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Congratulations on your good fortune Marius.
But remember, the next time you may not be so fortunate. Not all parts can be turned up-side-down.
dju
Thank you and oh yes, lesson is learned.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr930 View Post
The gun is made in 1938, and is (relatively spoken) in good condition.
A little bit surprise. Never fired a C&R Luger, but prewar gun, well,,, I don't know.

I fired about 20 C&R German pistols. So far, only two types are relatively fragile -- tiny vest pocket pistols, and wartime made pistols. Others worked great.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote