LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-09-2001, 11:39 PM   #1
Bill S.

Default byf/41

Hi everyone,

A neighbor recently showed me a 95% byf/41 with all matching numbers (except magazine), but it has some problems. There is a circular bulge in the barrel about 2 inches from the breech, the extractor spring is broken, and the matching pin holding the toggle assembly to the receiver has lost it's head and goes completely through the hole. These flaws were probably added when the bulge in the barrel was added. What should be done to restore this piece and what is the approx. value in it's present condition as my expertise is in the dished toggle examples. It probably should have a new barrel, new extractor spring, and pin and become a shooter. Am I correct? Comments are invited.

Bill S.

Unread 09-09-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: byf/41

If you are into the dished toggle era then you are probably familiar with some pretty rare and expensive Lugers. If you had a 1902 fat barrel 9mm that was minty but had a bulged barrel, broken toggle pin and extractor spring you might consider having it professionally restored (I know, heaven forbid, but it happens). A fairly common Luger would not warrant the high cost of a professional restoration. It would probably be best to just replace the parts with high quality parts and possibly have it refinished (and shoot it joyfully). IMHO.

Unread 09-10-2001, 12:27 AM   #3
mlm

Not sure if barrel can be rolled to remove the bulge though remarkable barrel work was done on a P38 of mine by a guy in Norfolk. The spring should be easy to replace. The toggle pin is a common part so could be replaced to enable funtioning of the luger.

Regardless, the value is about $250 to $300 based on a $450 value to a common mixed parts piece/basic luger less the cost of repair and barrel replacement. As parts, the frame, grips, magazine and other parts might be $300 plus depending on how you sell the parts.

I hope that is helpful--it is just a subjective opinion, though, so others might have more insightful estimates and advice.

Unread 09-10-2001, 08:52 PM   #4
Ken McD

One other thing to be careful of is. The bulge in the barrel sound like it was caused by one of two things. 1. the gun was fired with a very hot round. 2. The gun has a head space problem. If you do have it fixed, make sure you have a good gunsmith check it carefully.