LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Marvin
User

Default Finnish Luger Opinions

Need some help guys! I am thinking about gettting a Finnish Luger for my collection. I know it will be import marked, will be a reworked WWI Luger, but what do you guys think the future status of these Lugers will be?

Will they be considered a "shooter", collectable variation, or what? Since the Finns kept these pistols in use for many years, they had to be reworked so this may not be a problem. I know the import stamp will hurt, but there are probably very few non import marked Finns on the market.

I would like you comments before I make up my mind. Thanks for the help!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Marvin,

I just bought one and I am very pleased with what I got. It has the DWM on the toggle and the long Tikkakoski 9mm barrel so marked. It has the black plastic grips and is in very good condition. The barrel is brand new so it must have recieved the new barrel, been placed in storage and then sold out of military service without ever being used (mine still had the military arsenal tag attached). In my mind these are very collectible pistols and I believe the future is very bright for these very historical pistols. I don't think there are two parts matching on this Finnish Luger but that is part of the history of these pistols. The Finns were engaged in a number of conflicts and recycled these pistols into war so they saw much service. This is just how the Finn rilfes are, not many matching parts other than Finn arsenal scribed recycled marked parts to the original serial number but again that is part of the history of these weapons. The Finns in the process of returning these heavily used rifles/pistols to battel actually made them more reliable and accurate with their in country made barrels. When you study the details of how this small country aggressively pursued/defended their independence and freedom and the weapons of war they worked with and how they enhanced them they become even in the condition we get them and import marked a very special piece of small arms history. I recommend you certainly add one to your collection. Best, Lloyd in Vegas
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Lloyd,

Thanks for the reply! I felt that this may be the case, but Luger collecting can be sort of "finicky" about what is actually accepted as a collectable. I am going to think on this for a couple of days and make my decision. Right now, I am leaning to buy one. Again, thanks for the information.!
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
ironcross4148

I also like the Finnish Lugers with their longer barrels and black widow grips. Im my humble opinion, I believe that any Luger, even a shooter will double in value in 10 or 15 years or so. Lugers are a great investment and I am sorry I did not start to collect them sooner.
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Luke
User

Marvin -

I have purchased 4 of these, but I was able to buy them at prices ranging from $650 - $775. I see Finnish Lugers advertised for $1100 - $1300, but I am not sure anyone is buying at that price. It would be good to know what other collectors are paying.

Because almost all of these Lugers (The Finns call them Parabellums, not Lugers.) are mismatched, the resale value in the future might be questionable; but I am confident that there will always be a market if bought at the right price.

I agree with Lloyd. The remarkable record of Finland's heroic defense of their independence is almost unparalleled in modern history. Russia invaded Finland in late 1939 with a force almost three times that employed by the Allies in the invasion of Normandy . . . . and the Finns ably defended their country in the face of this huge onslaught. This history, and the certainty that most of these Lugers were used in the Winter War, make Finnish Parabellums a most interesting collectable, IMHO.

By the way, I shoot one of mine, and I find the 120mm (nominally 5") Tikkakoski barrel to be ideal. This, however, is a highly subjective opinion.

Regards,
Luke
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Marvin,

Finnish Parabellums are one of the two Luger variations which are authentically found to be heavily reworked and refinished, rebarrrelled and mismatched, by their military arsenal (the other is the Dutch East Indies variation) due to the conditions of their service.

My opinion (not to be confused with fact!) is that the value of Finnish Lugers is not significantly affected by this activity, and that we are at the beginning of the upward slope of these guns' value curve.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Thanks for the updated information guys! I have been out of town on business this past week and could not get time to check the Forum daily, but the first part of the week, I decided to "bite the bullet" and buy one of the Finnish Lugers.

The best price I found was from Military Gun Supply. I guess I could have waited to hope someone would be selling on the Forum or a gun show, but this is a "wait and see" option. I talked to the folks at MGS and they said they would ship me a nice one. I got home late last night and opened the box; I was pleasantly surprised with the condition. It was defeinetly reworked and had been slightly used after the rework. The sideplate has minor blue wear and the right rail has slight wear. All the wear appears to be holster wear. The barrel is like new inside, the numbers are all commercial stamped, I don't think any two numbers match that I saw so far. The magazine has a wood base, commercial type and the body is in perfect condition. It locks open fine, parts all appear great.

I am well pleased, but never paid this price for a reworked, mismatched Luger, but I probably will nver find an all matching pistol. I will clean it up good today or tomorrow and check it out good. The import stamp is located on the underside of the right rail and is not noticeable until you find it. It is well placed and I am happy about that.

I felt that the low number of these pistols will effect future price, but one never knows. I wanted one, and now I have one and I am happy. I figure at least the price in a few years will not cause me to lose money, but it is a great example to have in my collection. I have found that when I don't buy, the prices do climb, so I hope the Finnish Luger will too. I will get some photos and post when I get the time. Right now I am trying to get US Air to find my luggage, LOL!