LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-09-2001, 12:07 PM   #1
Sid Gariss

Default ERMA EP 22

This weekend at the gun show here in Albuquerque I came across a 22 pistol that had the same characteristics as the Luger. The gentlemen that had it said it was an ERMA EP22 and was made in Germany. It was in great shape and came with 2 mags and holster. One of the markings on it was a sheild with the number 68 in it. I can not recall the other markings next to this one. Can any of you gentlemen give me any information about this pistol or lead me in the right direction as to where I can learn more about it. I appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks.

Sid.

Unread 10-09-2001, 12:23 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: ERMA EP 22

See the Owner's Corner... I believe there's a couple of ERMA's in there with write-ups.

Dok

Unread 10-09-2001, 12:25 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Sid,

These little "Luger" copy pistols were made in the 1960s by the original Erma Werke. They made them in .22, .380, .32 cal.; and I think they made a very few in 9mmP (not sure about this though).

They were inexpensive little pistols which were not of the best quality. The frames were usually and aluminum or zinc type alloy and prone to breakage. One that I owned shot great and was fun to plink with, except the safety did not work.

According to the price and condition, they could be a fun little pistol to own, but keep in mind they are not very well made. There is a fair amount of information in John Walters book, "Luger" about these pistols. maybe someone with access to one can provide more details since I don't have mine with me.

Marvin

Unread 10-09-2001, 02:05 PM   #4
Sid Gariss

Dok and Marvin, thanks for your help with this. This was the first time I had seen one of these pistols and did not know a whole lot about them. It seem to that the safety did not work on this one. Once again, thanks for you help.

Sid.

Unread 10-09-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

If I recall correctly, the barrel is also made of pot metal with a steel rifled liner.

Unread 10-10-2001, 07:05 AM   #6
Marvin
User

Aaron,

Yea, I think you are correct about the liner being in at least some of the Erma Lugers. I know there was one in the .22 cal., but I don't remember if they were in the larger calibers.

Even with them being "cheap" made pistols, one would be a nice addition to a Luger collection if the purchase price was low enough.

Marvin

Unread 10-10-2001, 09:23 AM   #7
Sid Gariss

Thanks for the replies. I now know more about it than before. What would be a decent price range for the pistol, mags (2), and holster? This board is great. I sure have learned a lot from everyone, not only about this gun but also about my favorite. Thanks.

Sid.

Unread 10-10-2001, 03:42 PM   #8
Marvin
User

Sid,

I may be totaally off base in my pricing, but if this rig was for sale, I would only want to spend around $150-175 max. If memory serves me correct, I have seen them with prices in the $250 range, but I would not pay that much. One of the others on the Forum may know more than me about their value. If you do consider purchaseing the pistol, make sure it is in excellent condition and everything works. Keep us posted.

Marvin

Unread 10-10-2001, 05:58 PM   #9
Kyrie
User

Hi Sid,

Offered purely as a data point it took me two years to literally give one away.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 10-10-2001, 08:35 PM   #10
Aaron
Banned

According to my Blue book, there is no such gun as an Erma EP-22. There is an ET-22, which is a Luger carbine type (listing at $425 in 100% condition. Otherwise, the following types of .22 Ermas are listed:

LA 22, listing at $395 in 100% condition

KGP69, listing at $335 in 100% condition

I agree that these pistols are generally not in demand, and often sell for far less than the above prices.

Unread 10-10-2001, 09:01 PM   #11
Hannah

I have owned the 4" barrel Erma in .22, the Baby Erma in .380, and the Carbine Erma in .22.

I sent them all out to a gunsmith for new springs, and a complete shakedown, as none of them worked right when I got them.

They came back, with many replacement parts, and still wouldn't shoot right.

I am still depressed that I actually wasted money on these POS guns, because I figured that they *must* be good, somehow, they were German, made in the Erfurt factory, heck I had *great* guns from there.

These POS pistols neither cycle, extract, nor fire right, I sold one, traded the other for a really *nice* P38, and still have the dammed carbine.

My advice: Stay clear of post war Ermas.

Unread 10-10-2001, 11:20 PM   #12
tom h

The EP22 Erma was the 4" version of the ET22. As a variation, it comes between the 1964 LA22 and the 1969 KGP22. On all Erma 22 pistols the spring balance of the firing pin & recoil springs is critical. Since this seems to change after firing a box of ammo, I gave up working on them years ago.

Unread 10-11-2001, 08:12 AM   #13
Dok
RIP

Default I WISH I'D HAVE KNOWN...

you wuz looking to get rid of it... I'd have gladly taken it off your hands. And if anyone wants to give one to old Dok, in appreciation for all his hard work... all I can say is...

"SEND 'ER ALONG" - heh heh heh

Dok

Unread 10-11-2001, 02:04 PM   #14
Sid Gariss

I hadn't really gave any serious thought into buying it, but was interested mainly because it did look like a Luger. This was the first time I had seen one or even heard of it. It did look nice, but to bad that the quality of the pistols was so poor. It would have made a nice little pistol to plink with. Well, thanks for the responses everyone. I keep on learning something new everyday.

Sid.