LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
NC
New User

Cool New To Forum Question on first luger s/42

Well I just purchased my first luger it is a nice luger S/42 with a 1936-dated chamber. It has a very deep blue that looks very nice no rust spots and a beautiful color to it as well as being very slick (compares with my centennial colts..that nice). It has the correct proof marks on it according to the information page on this website. The numbers all match. It has walnut grips that look correct the magazines look like replacements one is a chrome plated Erma and the other is black with a plastic bottom no numbers on the mags. According to the person I purchased it from (who I know pretty well) it is a West German refinished gun for the police. I was just looking to make sure that this is what it is and am looking for some help from a knowledgeable collector; I think I am in the right place! I would also like to know an estimate on the value of this piece although I will not sell it. Thanks for all your help and time as well as thoughts!!!
NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Welcome to the forum, NC, sounds like a great first Luger to start with, its most likely an East German rework, these are great shooters. Are the grips wood or plastic with a circle? And is there a rather crude "X" stamped on the frame? Have you taken it apart yet? There is excellent info available here.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
NC
New User

Well the grips are wood no circle or marks on them they look correct to the original 1936 model according to a few members pictures I seen. There is no X on the frame or any other marks except an L in script under the barrel in front directly under the serial #. It is very clean and there is nothing crude about it as I have read with reworks that is puzzling. Thanks for the reply! If any more numbers or that are needed I will gladly post them. thanks again
Unread 05-29-2003, 11:22 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Hello and welcome

Can you tell us any markings on the gun?

Proofs? (see on your left under tech information if you came through www.lugerforum.com)

Tell us what and where proofs and markings are located.

There are forms in this section, where you can print out and then write down pertinent information.

What serial number is on the gun? To include any letters next to or under the serial number?

What year or letters are stamped on the top of the receiver?

What initials or letters are on the toggle?

Can you provide pictures, to include side, top, etc?

Not all the refinished East German guns are "crude", (I think) some were in good shape and simply left alone. Others that i have seen were dipped, but I believe the Russian capture ones are more likely to be dipped, while the East German are in much nicer shape.

Even if it is a re-work, then it has a history and that can be determined by any markings.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 08:01 PM   #5
NC
New User

Here are links to the Pictures There are three markings seen in the NeilsLugermarkings1 and 2 pictures these are the only three on the gun (First 2 have G3 under them third is a feathered out eagle) except for <1> another on the barrel directly in front of the three marks in the picture which resembles the third feathered out eagle. And this same bird on the barrel appears on the <2> hindge of the toggle. <3>There is also a mark under the barrel directly under the serial # it is faint and small 8182. These are the only marks on the gun. I did fill out the form too.
1.Toggle named S/42
2. Chamber inscription 1936
3. Toggle knob is checkered
4. No grip safety
5. Has a stock lug
6. 9mm
7. Walnut grips checkered no border
8. thumb safety marked Gesichert
9. Other marks see above sentances and photos
10. serial #4762
I sure hope this helps Id the gun I will be pleased to know exactly the type it is. Thank you for all your help and time to id it for me it is much appreciated. Thank You!!!

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...ersideview.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...ckgripview.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...rmarkings1.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...rmarkings2.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...rrightside.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/NeilsLugerPic1.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...gerTopview.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/...barrelview.jpg
Unread 05-30-2003, 08:37 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

Very nice gun, even better photos. Doesn't appear to be a standard type east german import, it has however been refinished. A few years ago I locked in on an ad in the Shotgun news, 1911A1s for $550, Inglis BHPs for $450, stock $150. Why not? I ordered the BHP and stock, after dealing repeatedly with a person who spoke minimal English and swearing my mail order days were over it showed up. I was told it was a West German police Inglis that had a finish like your Luger. No import marks. If this guy couldn't understand "where is it?" I'm fairly sure import laws were of minor relevance to him. Regardless, very nice gun.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Looks good, finish is done well, I am no expert on this era.

This is probably obvious to you, but;

S/42 is Mauser

1936 is the year it was first made, the markings on the right are proofs and acceptance markings.

Hopefully others will chime in, Frank?

Ed

Unread 05-31-2003, 12:46 AM   #8
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello NC, welcome!! Your Luger serial number is 4762L, and the "L" is important!! That's the script letter just under the serial number on the frame, just under the barrel. It was made about mid year 1936 (my guess would be July, give or take a month). The 8182 on the barrel is probably 8,82 which is the diameter of the bore across the lands in millimeters.

I can't tell which proof mark (that's the farthest forward mark on the right side of the receiver) is on your pistol. This is about the time the Germans switched proof marks. It is difficult to tell the difference. The photo shows the mark, but the flash glare makes it tough to identify.

Yes your pistol has been reblued, since the small parts are not strawed (golden colored). The trigger, take down lever, magazine release button, safety lever and ejector were originally this straw color.

Looks like a nice find, congratulations!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2003, 12:45 PM   #9
NC
New User

Thanks I really like it and thank you guys for looking at it. Do you think it is a rework or just reblued? Also what would you estimate the value at (I gave $410 for it). Thanks for your help you guys have been great! Hopefully I can find some more lugers in the future!
Unread 05-31-2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

The difference between a rework and a reblue is a fine line. Depends on who did it and why?

A gov't rework is usually considered acceptable compared to a Joe Smif reblue / rework.

At a minimum, depending on where you live, a Luger is worth anywhere from $350 (I haven't seen in a long time) $450-$500, and the top end is what I have seen more often. Just for kicks, why $410? That is an odd amount?

Of course value depends on the buyer, so you could have spent a lot more and still been happy, but $410 is a good price.

Ed