LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Post National Tracing Center

Have any of you guys ever gotten a call from them? I just got a call about a "G" date Luger I bought two years ago from the second American to own the gun. The owner supplied me with documentation on the gun going back to WWII. Do you think I should have a concern?

http://www.p38guns.com/Luger.htm

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Thor
User

I think a lot of time they dont look at the letter suffix so many Lugers will be confused for another. One of my clients was denied getting his gun back from the FFL I sent it to for him to pick up. Again, they didnt add the letter suffix in so that Luger was confused for another. As soon as that was cleared up in a day or so, he got the pistol back.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
MarkC
User

Ted,

I have now had about three conversations with the woman at the tracing center. The original owner wanted to gun sent through a gun shop so I received it from them in August of 2002.

Fortunately I keep real good records and faxed the National Tracing Center person (who was very nice) over my cover letter to the previous owner, the firearms transfer form the dealer used and a copy of my bank check.

I also found the previous owners phone number and just called his widow. My thinking is that someone in the family remembered the Luger after the gentleman passed away and reported it stolen after it did not turn up.

I'll let you know if anything else happens.

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
bradsimpson
User

Mark,
That has happened to us several times. Some states require that serial numbers are checked when the FFL dealer gets the gun. Stolen Lugers usually are reported as a "Luger" with a 1 to 5 digit s/n. A 4 digit "Luger" without a listed suffix letter can be a potential match to dozens of other guns.

All you have to do is prove the ownership of your gun before the gun in question was stolen.

Sounds like you have no problem.
bradsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote