LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Sky Zero
User

Default Racking and Magazine issue (I think)

Ok so I took my 41 byf luger to the range today and here are the problems I encountered; I don't exactly know what's wrong or if there really is anything wrong. Here's the list:

-When I put 5 or more rounds into the magazine and load it into the gun, it's VERY tight when pushing the magazine in the last half inch or so. Under 5 rounds it isn't a problem. Could this be a spring issue with the magazine? Could it be a bullet weight issue?

-When I shot my first 25 rounds or so and I tried to rack the mag, on the way forward the bullet would get jammed between the breech and firing pin. It only did this on the first 25 rounds and I'm not sure if it was because the gun was dirty or what or if it was because I didn't let the toggle thingy slam forward (I eased it forward)

-Sometimes the toggle wouldn't stay back after firing off the last round. Again, magazine issue or bullet issue?

I was using federal 9mm 'enforcement' rounds.

-The spent bullet casing would get caught between the toggle thingy and the top of the breach area. Didn't do this too much but I've seen it happen before on youtube videos.
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Sky Zero
User

Oh I should also note, when I have the toggle cocked back, the magazine goes in with no resistance for the last half inch or so. It only seems to happen when I have 5 rounds or more in the magazine with the toggle full forward
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The issues you describe are related to both the ammo and the mag. Law enforcement ammo is too hot for the Luger and will have caused some of the stoppages. The tight fit and failure to hold open is a magazine issue.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Sky Zero
User

Well it actually had more jams on the magtech 9mm ammo. Should I get a replacement magazine or just do something to the new one?
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

James, one other thing to pay attention to is how you are supporting the Luger while you shoot it.

You need a very firm grip straight on that transmits the recoil pulse down your arm and into your shoulders. One or two hands will work. It's essential that the grip not rotate vertically in or with your hands.

Don't use high energy rounds. These pistols were not designed for higher pressures.

After following Doug's advice, consider the following:

Depending on it's condition, you could also be dealing with a recoil spring that is out of spec. The timing of a Luger is very balanced.

First, try the more standard power loads like the WWB 115gn we recommended in your other posting. Then have a look at how smoothly the magazine is functioning. Do not try and disassemble the magazine. If you suspect a problem there, get in touch with Gerald (G.T. on this forum) and chat with him about it.

After market magazines vary in quality. Most here recommend the MegGar, but I don't have any to evaluate.

Check the hold open and it's very small spring to make sure it's seated correctly, and that the channel it rides in isn't dirty or corroded.

Check the extractor and the channel it rides in to make sure it's seated correctly, and that it's well isn't dirty.

Marc
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Sky Zero
User

Alrighty thanks for the info! I'm heading to the range again tomorrow and I'll pick up some of the winchester rounds and I'll see how those do. I also completely disassembled my luger and cleaned it thoroughly (was VERY dirty).

I'm not as concerned about the spend casings as I am the magazine problem. I'll get in contact with Gerald right now and see what can be done about the magazine! Thank you guys. I'll post tomorrow after the range with my results.