LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Red face 1938 blank toggle

I do not have pictures of this gun, as I didn't bring my digital camera with me while traveling. Met a guy today that is a WW2 vet and he brought items back with him. I have talked to him on the phone, we shared a letter each, met him via another worker.

He was a mortar man with the 29th Div., came in at 10:30 AM on D-Day, very nice gentleman. He brought home a little 25 cal with a holster, belt type. Then he had a DWM 1912 rifle, and a Carcano rifle, and then the one I was interested in. He had a 1938, nothing on the toggle luger in reasonable shape that he personally took off of a German. Interesting story, five of them were walking along a hedgerow and up pops a German and draws down on them, tells them to drop their weapons. Front guy drops his, heâ??s a sergeant but the German has the drop on him. The 2nd guy drops his, the last three say ah hell and fire at him. They all turned and ran down the way theyâ??d come. Later that night, he creeps back by himself and checks the dead German, there is a luger in a holster and a nice knife in his boot. The shoulder holster is professionally made, with nice stitching, but not as professional as like a US GI one. He said he wore the shoulder holster the entire rest of the war. My feeling on the holster is that it was made for the German by a friend or business for him. No markings on the rear or front. Had a thin �¼ inch leather strap on each side, top and bottom.

The serial number is 86xx f, has two E/63 on the right side and also an eagle.

The mag is 3351f

Top of the barrel has an E/63

The catch is, nothing on the toggle and I believe the story from this Vet. He is a very nice older man, no reason to lie, his stories were very true sounding, and I simply have no reason to believe he was making anything up.

The rest of the gun was serial marked with last two. The toggle, I am pretty sure was marked with the last two, I did not get a really good look at it, as I didn't want to appear too fruity to him...

So, why the blank toggle?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote