Unread 01-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Was it originally a 3 die set, or has someone added a die, and forgot to tell you?? With your experience in things like making modified/reformed brass and reloading, I can't imagine what kind of a die has you stumped!! You have definitely peaked my attention.
Right. OK, here goes:

RCBS die set as shown in post #5 above. First pic below shows all three dies in the set I received, disassembled. They are marked as follows, in order as shown -

[first die] RCBS 8mm Nambu Size # 170 on die body

[second die] RCBS 8mm N on ram; no die marking

[third die] RCBS 8mm Nambu Seat #370 on die body

Second pic below shows just the middle die, with dimensions as shown.

Here's the problem...The ram in the middle [expander?] die expands the cases so that a .321" bullet falls right in. Very good fit; I can feel the air rushing out the primer hole. The ram also has a taper leading to another expanding size which is a sliding fit in a 38 Special/357 Magnum case but does nothing to an 8mm Nambu case unless you push it down to the beginning of the taper, when it will give the case mouth a very slight bell...But if you expand the entire neck, there is nothing to hold a .321" bullet in place to crimp it...It falls inside...

Pretty much every book I have [including COTW] shows the Nambu bullet as .320", which is even worse...

I first thought the middle die was the accessory die for expanding the 38 Special case, but the entire ram slides right through & bottoms out...Without touching the 38 Spl case...So it's not the expander for making 8mm out of 38 Special...

I can just push the middle die ram down a slight bit in my formed cases, but then I get no bell...

So...WTF is this die for???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36404-2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	39643  

Click image for larger version

Name:	36404-4a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	39644