View Single Post
Unread 06-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Doubs, I need to discuss your 7.63 Mauser and 7.62 Tokarev loads with you right away (in a private message if you would like). I would be most interested in discussing bullet types, diameters and weights with you.

Where can I purchase the A&D scale you mentioned above?

You may think this is a funny observation, but i have noted that some individual powder flakes can easily exceed .1 of a grain, the larger IMR powder series is a good example, so 2/100 of a grain accuracy seems a bit of an overkill to me.

Respectfully, Sieger
For both .30 Luger and .30 Mauser/Tokarev, I use a couple of bullets. The 90 grain .309" Hornady XTP HP works well with 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol Powder in either cartridge. The Luger is a much stronger action than the Mauser so I keep my Mauser loads as mild as possible while reliably functioning the action.

I also use the 85 grain .312" Hornady HP in both cartridges BUT I run them through a Lyman Lubrisizer H&I die and reduce the diameter to .309". I use STP to lube the bullets to reduce friction going into and out of the die. I wash the bullets in water and dish washing liquid to remove the STP. The same 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol Powder works well.

Another bullet I use is the 90 grain Sierra HC with exposed lead as you can see in the picture I used in the first post. It's also a .312" bullet but reduced to .309". Note the change in the profile of the nose created by the punch used when resizing. It turns the bullet into almost a round nose which aids feeding.

Because the cartridges have short necks and neck tension is so critical to prevent bullet setback as the cartridges feed through the action, I use a Lee factory crimp die that makes the case mouth grip the bullet tightly and prevent setback.

The A&D EJ-123 scale came from Old Will Knott Scales; good people to deal with. Not cheap but very good. Just remember to keep it away from florescent lights and any electrical interference to prevent drift. https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/a...on-ej-123.html

Mostly I use H-4895 and similar powders for my rifles. One kernel of powder will usually equal .02 (2/100) of a grain.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: