sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
It's still a great find !
I always wondered if the torpedoes survived or exploded.
Don't they just run out of power and sink?

I'm somewhat surprised that anything survived...~50 years [2002] on the bottom, plywood boat, cut in half, mostly metal fittings, nothing very large except the two 12 cyl Allisons, salt water corrosian...

Just perusing the specs here; the 103-class PT's had three Packard V-12's and were the biggest PT's; 56 tons!!!

Quote:
Search for the remains of PT-109

The wreckage of PT-109 was located in May 2002, at a depth of 1,200 feet (370 m), when a National Geographic Society expedition headed by Robert Ballard found a torpedo tube from wreckage matching the description and location of Kennedy's vessel.[73] The boat was identified by Dale Ridder, a weapons and explosives expert on the U.S. Marine Forensics Panel.[73]
The stern section was not found, but a search using remote vehicles found the forward section, which had drifted south of the collision site. Much of the half-buried wreckage and grave site was left undisturbed in accordance with Navy policy. Max Kennedy, JFK's nephew, who joined Ballard on the expedition, presented a bust of JFK to the islanders who had found Kennedy and his crew.[74]
National Geographic produced a TV special titled The Search for Kennedy's PT 109. A DVD and book were also released.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote