View Single Post
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jesse!

Wonderful questions - so let me answer in context to your HK specifically - which is a 2nd variation Post War. I refer to them as "PX Postwar HKs" (as opposed to Presentation PX, Internally Serialized, Parts HKs, etc).

Anyway - based on the degree of polishing and type of polishing I can discern from the photos - the cannon was either originally fit to that HK frame (both show correctly), but given large digit postwar examples - could have been actually been fitted to another frame originally (pre-May 1945). That being said - both appear to be late production Military appropriate for either second variation 1944 or, a 1945 chamber date, given the LWaA Stage I & II and proof on frame and receiver.

Remember, the large digit PX guns where made from materials left on hand, which is why most are mixed parts from (DWM, Erfurt, Simson, etc.) Without referring to my notes (and I don't have Gibson at hand - but I will correct and edit later, if needed) - but, in the making of the PX HKs - most were probably blued post-war after assembling from the parts on hand. However, from your pictures - yours appears to be primarily HK external parts (but, I can't really tell from the pics about your barrel, extractor or internals?). But the frame, sideplate, receiver, trigger, takedown, toggle/links - etc. - appear to be HK - or from what I can see...

Further, if your photo's are correct and the bluing is uniform across the entire gun - taking what we DO KNOW - that these were often comprised of parts from various manufacturers - and those too, show uniform bluing in the PX Variation - then, were blued post war for your variation.

Anyway.... I could go on about this and all the post war variations for a while, but tried to confine my reply to items regarding your Post-war specifically.

And it is a wonderful example!!!

John
John D. is online now   Reply With Quote