View Single Post
Unread 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Eric,

I have to echo Ron's comments.

In my earlier days as a collector of both Lugers and Colt Model 1911 and its predecessors, I looked extensively at the 1900 and subsequent Tests.

There is much data available and documented in several books with respect to the macro aspects of the tests and some very detailed information on the tests themselves and outcomes. BUT... as far as I have been able to see, in the 1900 test there was only one Army unit that actually reported by serial number on what precise guns were used. No one else bothered. And 1000 guns were distributed in one form or another.

Thus, the Bannerman purchase, by serial number, is the most definitive record at the gun level. Ron, please correct me.

On the other hand, we know that two pistols were delivered in March 1901 and one destroyed, but not their numbers. This led to the formal test

We know about the 50 guns delivered with the Powell Device but we do not know what specifically happened by serial number.

We know of at least two .45 caliber Lugers, and that George Luger personally conducted the test but no real data on others and precisely how they were marked. We know, or at least I have handled the two .45s involved but are there more? Perhaps, even likely.

FWIW.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post: