Unread 02-04-2022, 09:53 PM   #17
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
...what Ed asked about was a .30 LUGER vs the new .30 round.

The case size of the luger rounds are quite a bit different in diameter than the .32 acp or .380 rounds you mention in their European nomenclature. They will pop right out of a luger magazine!
Yes, I realize that. My thinking is that since the rim dimensions of the .30 Luger, 9mm Luger, and .380 are close enough to be feasible in mags with the same distance between the feed lips, a Luger mag would also work double duty like an Erma's for the smaller .32 case, as well as the longer--and slightly bigger D-- "new" round.

My Erma example holds true for the Luger, as well. Try it and you'll see. If you disregard OAL that causes feeding problems if more than 4 rounds of .32 ACP are loaded. the rim of the cartridge cannot escape the feed lips of a Luger mag.

Although it is true that the main body of the .32 ACP case, since it's just a hair smaller D than the rim, is a bit sketchy about being held in/down, the rounds don't literally squirt out of the mag unbidden. A vintage Luger mag made by Erma works perfectly, whereas older, original mags don't hold the nose down. New MecGar mags are in the middle.

Otherwise, I think a .30 Luger barrel could be used if an insert were installed in the chamber, although maybe more trouble than it's worth.