View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2002, 12:29 AM   #19
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Neatsfoot oil for Holster?

Have been using Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing for at least 25 years now on various collectible leathers. There has been no deterioration in the past 25 years, and I know that some of the holsters and slings have been brought back from an early death with treatment with Pecards. As with the use of anything else, common sense and good judgement goes a long way in preservation. Maybe some have had a bad experience with the Pecards slathered on like grease on a wheelbearing, but I defy anyone to look at any of my holsters and tell me that the holster has ever had Pecards on it, or show me any signs of deterioration and imminent decay. It is an absolute fact that all leather will eventually turn to dust no matter how well it is cared for. I recently had the opportunity to possibly purchase a set of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion which were originally bound in leather. The set of 128 books were originally printed around 1898 and this set had been in a private library that was centrally heated and air conditioned for the last 45 years. The leather was turning to dust, and the acid paper pages would crumble to the touch. These books had never been treated in any way, and still they deteriorated. I will enjoy my holsters and continue to treat them yearly with Pecards, as they will all outlast me by many years. Who knows what the next owner may do with them. I will not lose any sleep as long as my holsters are preserved to my satisfaction for my lifetime.