View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Re:NOOOOOOOO.......NEVER!!!

Hey guys. I think it was Marvin that had a great link to a leather site four or five months ago and it was a great site. Marvin..If you have that or can find it I think it would be time to re-run that one. If we can find that one it is worth reading for every Forum member that wants to preserve leather.

Neatsfoot oil was developed to break down the fibers of shoe soles that were too stiff. This stuff is poison to holster leather. It will soften it and every movement thereafter will help to pull the leather fibers apart.

I use my own potions and really like them both for different purposes. On new vegetable tanned leather I use Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvinator. Available from Tandy Corp. The other I use for vintage German holsters is Hide food made by an English firm for exclusive use for Jaguar dealerships on their leather car seats. As far as I know it is only available at a Jaguar dealership. Contrary to popular belief I do not know everything there is to know about preserving leather. I use two products that seem to work for me but in fact it could proove down the road that something else was or is better. I try to have an open mind about it and learn as much as possible. Jerry Burney