View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Doc, RK, Peter..!

Actually - the answer is kind of simple... First - there were "code words" for designated safe or "secret" areas within Germany - tunnels, factories, quarries, bunkers, mines - I believe even some cellars in breweries were designated as such. Krieghoff, Carl Zeiss, BMW, Dornier - and many suppliers facilities & their hidden locations were given these secret codes. These "code names" should not to be confused with "manufacturer codes" such as "fzs" or "byf", etc...

Anyway, many of these code words were developed from the local geological or countryside attributes. For Krieghoff specifically - you'd need to know a little about the surrounding area and it's history. So.....

Suhl was one of the primary firearms manufacturing areas for Germany going back as far as mid-1600s, I believe. Primarily, is was due to the the local geology being rich in Iron - so iron mining in that area was prevalent (actually - mining in that area continued even through the 1930s and 40s). I also believe, there were several foundries - most notably in surrounding towns, such as Vesser, where the iron would be forged and supplied to the local gun manufacturers in Suhl.

As Peter correctly notes - the chemical composition of "glaukonit" is iron rich (highly concentrated with Fe), which gives Glaukonit it's greenish tint.

Anyway - maybe RK and Peter will add what they found, which may provide even more insight...

BTW.. Great thread RK! And Peter, my thanks for adding the post about the chemical properties and your offer to assist with his translation!!!

- John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote