Thread: Hand Me Down ID
View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
Sparkfire7
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb111 View Post
You can easily check to see what caliber your pistol is by putting a pencil down the barrel if it is really loose then it’s a 9mm if it is more snug then it’s a 30 cal. As a shooter you’ll be able to take it out and use it without worrying about breaking a numbered part which would be detrimental on a matching number pistol. Most collectors have a shooter to use guilt free. Good shooters are worth $1000 give or take. Enjoy that pistol and welcome to the forum!
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
Welcome and thanks for sharing your Luger with us.

You have some priceless provenance that makes it worth keeping.

It's not collectable, but it's still a handsome pistol - of course, I've never seen a luger that I wasn't interested in !

The resoration evidence is very obvious in your photos - the heavy brush or sander marks. All the sharp edges along the top are rounded out and smooth. Then it was refinished (re-blued).

It looks like the frame was a 1920 era commercial luger, to me.
I can't tell much from the unmarked magazine, but I think it was a later version.

Look on the front of the frame and under the barrel, as well as the right side of the frame for more markings.

They didn't always have all the military stamps and markings, but look around inside. Some of the commercial lugers were covered from military versions, so they would have the numbered small parts.

You can get to the firing pin pretty easily.
More good info thanks so much, when I find some time I will be sure to do this.
Sparkfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sparkfire7 for your post: