View Single Post
Unread 03-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

The best advice I received when I was a new collector was, buy what interests you. It is subjective. It is best to start with a 'shooter', a pistol with some combination of refinish, mis-matched parts or cosmetics that make it relatively inexpensive, $900-$1,200 is typical. I personally found that starting with a shooter allowed me to get to know Lugers better and I discovered my collecting interests as I proceeded.

Collectible examples have original finish, all or almost all matching parts, and are in good or better cosmetic condition. Most collectors don't shoot these nicer guns due to the risk of breaking a numbered part which can immediately convert the collectible into a shooter.

There is overlap between these categories and often debate between collectors about the borders of these categories. One man's shooter might be another's low or mid-range collectible. For I think most collectors, it is difficult to find a single pistol that satisfies the pleasures of shooting and owning a nicer gun; many of us have one or more shooters and several collectibles.

As far as where to find them, dealers, other forum members, and auctions have worked for me. Gun shows and local gun shops have been useless.

Be sure to read the FAQ. Also browse old threads, it's enjoyable and informative.

Best of luck to you and let us know what you get, preferably with photos.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: