View Single Post
Unread 08-30-2002, 01:33 PM   #31
unspellable
User

The reason you don't have to match the right factory ammo to a 1911 is none of the manufacturers make the wrong ammo. On the other hand, they very definitely do make the wrong ammo for the Luger. Not only in terms of powder charge and velocity, but also in terms of bullet design and for all I know the OAL. No pistol can be expected to function with ammo that does not meet the specs for that pistol. The Fiocchi 7.65 load is far too weak to operate a Luger reliably with the standard 7.65 recoil spring. Cut the powder charge in half and the standard issue 1911 won't be so reliable either.

As for the 1911 magazine, put in a weak spring and bash it with a ball peen hammer a few times before you decide whether or not you need to change it. The original vintage Luger magazines are all over 55 years old now. The majority are pushing 75 years or more. They have been exposed to every sort of abuse during that time.

The vintage Luger went out of production because it took a lot of machine time to mnufacture it, not because it didn't work. Many countries adopted it. You can be shure most of them torture tested it first.

In general, the "goodness" of a product does not correlate to how well it sells. Marketing and many other influences enter the picture. Show me the best selling product in any line and I'll show you the one that isn't the best at what it does. Pennzoil is probably the best selling motor oil on the market, but it's also about the poorest brand name oil. They spend a lot on advertising. The biggest difference between a $10 and a $20 dollar bottle of whiskey is $8 worth of advertising. The primary reason the US didn't adopt the Luger was the, "It wasn't invented here." syndrome. The Beretta wasn't either but look at the politics and bruhaha that went into adopting it and the controversy afterwards.

The 1911 has enjoyed many years and many dollars worth of developement work to make a target gun out of it or a carry piece. No one has spent 5% of that on developing the Luger. In spite of which it does hold at least one world target championship. One of the big reasons no one tried to develope the Luger for target work is that in this country we shoot bull's eye and that game is stacked in favor of the 45.

I still say if your Luger and your ammo is right it will go bang. Period. The 1911 won't go bang if it ain't right. When I want malfunctions I refer to an AMT 380 I had. At least one to every magazine full or triple your money back. No matter what magazine or what ammo. Still I bet somebody out there has one that works.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote