View Single Post
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,426 Posts

Rich..I don't know either. I have always considered anything screwed in to be incorrect for the previous reasons I have given.
The Carbine rod may be an anomoly. It is carried either in a flat case where it COULD unscrew and fall out or perhaps placed in a hard case? Either way..a rod that screws in makes no sense whatever.
What is it's purpose? Most modern rods that screw together are to condense the length. That is not necessary on short rods or a carbine length.
If it was to replace it with some other type/length of rod..where are they?
The worst part about rods that screw into a barrel is that it creates an extremely weak section at a critical stress area. To accomodate a threaded screw in a same size shaft..it is necessary to make a portion of the rod at least one half the thickness of the rod proper..if not more!
IF any original rods were threaded.. it was and is.. stupidity on a colossal scale. I don't believe the Germans would have done it.

Norm.. The shafts on original rods are hard soldered to the handles. I don't know whether they are threaded or not.
It would have made much more sense if one were to join a soldered rod with a simple hole and shaft. No threading necessary. This method would provide less labor, a flat seal for solder at the joint and a stronger fixture that would be as good as an unmolested rod.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote