Thread: Luger ammo
View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2001, 09:05 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Luger ammo

Hi Rod!

Thank you, I understand better

Alas, I'm afraid you have been the recipient of bad information. The only Luger cartridge that reached anything like 1400 fps was the 93 grain Luger carbine cartridge - and that velocity was out of an 11.75 inch barrel! Standard Luger fodder was a 123.4 grain bullet, at about 1150 fps (though one sees recorded velocities that range from a low of 1040 fps all the way up to 1250 fps). The pressures standards for the 9 mm Luger cartridge really haven't changed much in the last 100 years.

This is a funny subject, with a surprising amount of misinformation bandied about. I suspect this is due to the gun rag writers; most of who seem unable to even rent a clue [smile]. One even hears that US produced 9 mm Luger is loaded "weakly". In point of fact, US (read "SAAMI") 9 mm Luger pressure standards were taken from European pressure standards. SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute) call for a MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) of 35,000 psi for the 9 mm Luger. Interestingly enough, that's exactly the same MAP as for the .357 Magnum cartridge

Anyway, I hope this helps some!

Best regards,

Kyrie