View Single Post
Unread 02-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #11
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

just because the lanyard fits would not make it a genuine Lahti lanyard.

My study of lanyards has always included period photo's of who might be wearing them, attached to what kind of pistols. I recently came across a magazine article with great photo;s of Austrians wearing lanyards. To be accurate, most of the photo's I come across are fairly well dressed fellows with thin dainty lanyards, what little can be seen of them in old photos.

I would think as many of the lanyards as there are from the OP that seem to exist, if they were for the Finnish Lahti , there would be some period photo's. Honestly I have never ventured out of my German bubble to explore Finnish period pics! Or Portuguese either although there is some thoughts that the swivel/woven end lanyard is Portuguese. I think there is some merit to that thought but my idea is that the Portuguese may have copied the German type or they were supplied to the Portuguese by the Germans along with German supplied Luger's . At any rate it seems both of these military's used the same lanyard?

It's odd that the German Mauser contract in 1943. Portuguese M43 holsters were especially designed and made by Portuguese saddlers and historically is typically associated with the lanyard . Seems very late for lanyard use but the Portuguese did things very differently than the Germans.
Anyway..a fascinating subject/discussion for me. More exploring to do. Thanks for everyone's input.

One last thought on the "Lahti" lanyard, it would fit the Lahti type! Robust and simple. And one would have to think, dropping your pistol in deep snow would not be good!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote