Thread: Mitchell Luger
View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #19
shadow
User

I put 200 rounds through the luger this afternoon and the extractor only failed to extract the case about five times total, and these all occurred after the gun was hot. This includes two where the case was pulled halfway out of the chamber before the extractor let go, which is a new symptom. This is a great improvement over the once every two to five shots that it did before. I noticed that when the gun was hot I was able to make the extractor hang up again so I polished the extractor some more and am thinking about getting a new extractor spring.

Now that the extractor problem is nearly solved I was able to shoot it enough to get a feel for the gun. The gun did jam once every magazine or two but myself and another shooter who came over to see the luger were having so much fun shooting it that I did not document the types of jam. From what I remember there were two. The first was the front of the bullet hitting the top rim of the chamber opening and stopping. The second was the spent brass staying attached to the breech block and blocking the next round from feeding properly. Every fifty rounds or so I needed to brush a lot of copper shavings out of the action.

I was able to get the action to cycle more reliably by holding the gun firmly with both hands. I used this technique for the last fifty rounds and only had about four jams. I know you shouldnâ??t limp wrist a luger but isnâ??t the need to hold it firmly with two hands excessive?

I plan to buy the metgar magazine and to polish the feeding ramps to see it helps. I am also still trying to find out if the bottom face if my breechblock is dinged or if it is normally that way.

The other shooter was so impressed with the feel and accuracy of the gun that he now plans to buy a luger. His exact words were that â??he never had a gun feel so good when you shot itâ?. I sent him to this site.

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote