View Single Post
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
egillette
User

Default New Krieghoff I am a Newbie to Lugers

Hello All,
I am new to Luger owning, my first and probably only purchase coming yesterday at the local gun store. I was there when a widow brought in 50+ guns one of which was a Luger in what I would say is poor condition. I bought it because I needed a Luger to complete my very small collection of US and German WW2 Pistols that I wanted to display on the side of my gun cabinet, simply for my enjoyment as I am not a collector, just a history fancier, and have always wanted a representative piece of each, sooo I have a 1922 Browning, P38, and Hi power, all Waffenmarked but I have never been able to afford a Luger till now I figured I could not even buy a replica for the 200 that I bought this Luger for. I am going to try to put on a few pictures but have never done that before. Any help or info would be appreciated, I respect all the time people may take to read this and maybe comment, Thanks in advance.
It is marked Krieghoff with a sword and anchor above and Suhl under, thats all ahead of the knurled toggle, 7944 is the serial and that number appears on all visible parts except the mag which is marked with what looks like a script n, and a waffen with 03 below and serial 2694 it is aluminum based with a blued body(Mag).
882 is under the barrel near the 7944; several eagle over 2 on the right side of the pistol and some more marks I think are proofs or accectance. Geladen is stamped on what I think is a loaded indicator;GESICHERT is above the safety lever;
1937 is stamped above the chamber;4" barrel; the grips are wood,some small pieces missing; there is a waffen with 135 stamped below on the inside of each grip; all marks seem very clear; It has been in a closet for the last 40 years at least according to the widow, on the floor covered with a blanket, but she could give no history except her husband had these all for "a long time".
I would love any comments anyone might make as to history, as my deceased father was a GI and I am trying re capture a little of that time with these weapons.
It has a lot of surface rust and rust in the barrel, definitely not in great shape, I would like to know how to go about cleaning it up as I really don't know where to start, and If maybe I should let a Luger person look at it as I would rather have one that I could take out and shoot maybe with a better bore.
Thanks, Ed
egillette is offline   Reply With Quote