Unread 02-01-2001, 07:58 AM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: Krieghoff Production Sites

Welcome Alexander..!!!

First of all, your question is the bane of many Krieg collectors - as production for the Krieghoff products (there were several) were spread across several factories and facilities. Before I get going on what I think I know - let me use this as background for you.

There have been many who authors have attempted to cover Kreig production and products including Gibson, Kenyon, Still just to name a few. However, the most definitive work on Kreigs is found in Randall Gibsons book entitled "THE KREIGHOFF PARABELLUM" copyright 1980 (1st printing). Therefore, I'll reference that as the primary factual source.

The actual firms name was H. Krieghoff Waffenfabrik - and the primary factory was located in Suhl. This facility, destroyed by the Russians after the end of the war, was the base of operations. Other satellite operations occured in SUHL outskirts (Erffastrasse, Gothaerstrasse, Stamp Forge) and surrounding towns (Schwarza, Kloster Vessra, Themar, Unterneubrunn) as well as Austria, Belgium, Italy and Poland. (Gibson - p. 13 - 14). During the war, Krieghoff also manufactered flare pistols (Belgium), machine gun barrels for aircraft, reworked Italian carbines for the German Army, made machine gun internal parts, etc. - and other things I can't remember just now...

As for Luger production, while it is undocumented - the Luftwaffe is rumored to have insisted that production occur only in the main facility in Suhl - utilizing the surrounding smaller assembly shops for components (toggles, frames, etc.). However, since the main facility was responsible for blueing, final fit and assy, forging, etc. - and since most of the Kreig Luger production required hand fitting of the parts - it is likely that most assy did, indeed take place at SUHL itself.

As for post-war Kriegs, these were assembled (under strict guard) by a few factory workers who wanted to build Lugers for the GIs. They are very poor quality (finish) and tend to be numbered on the inside of the major components. Most have blank toggles - and while there are some reported with marked toggles, these are thought to be manufactured by GIs from the extra wartime supplies when they "liberated" the factory. Additionally, since there were only a few factory workers who were allowed to work under guard - some of the final production of these "post war" Krieg parts (toggles, etc.) was apparently accomplished by local gunsmiths in SUHL. Given the diverse quality of these post-war examples, that rumor is probably true.

The reported number of post-war Kriegs is thought to be about 240-250 Lugers - with most being sold in PXs for a whopping $25-50. As for those assembled by GI's - there are only a few known and documented.

Hope this helps!!