View Single Post
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #43
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I'd be interested in that data from the Handloader newsletter.

I hope that anyone who reloads knows that older data is only relevant to powder manufactured in that particular time frame (and it should be dated). The chemical composition changes without notice from the manufacturer and the burning rates, charges, even physical appearance change as well. Older data may no longer be correct.

Even loading data for the two most common powders, Bullseye & Unique, have changed over the years.

I would caution anyone using the data in any of the articles in this thread or the other one view it with skepticism.

I plan on using only the lower [minimum] loads and then only one or two rounds, to get a feel for how they shoot.
Hi,

I believe that all loading date needs to be addressed skeptically, not just the old vs. new thing.

By the way, if you get on just about any of the major powder manufacturer's sites, you will find that they claim just the opposite; that being, that their newer powder burning rates are exactly the same as their older powder burning rates. Well, reality must fall somewhere in between these two opinions.

As for me, I always start with the lowest load and work up until I either find an accurate load or pressure signs appear. The first "pressure sign", with a Luger, is when the load starts outruning the springs and jams start occurring. Breach block slap is a very dangerous pressure sign, and needs to be avoided!

Just some thoughts.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 02-15-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote