View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jes,

I am thrilled that someone is researching the 1920-dated DWMs with "n" suffixes. This series has puzzled me for a long time. I will add to your survey from my database as soon as I have a chance. In the interim, I will offer these observations:

* I believe the "n" series was produced by DWM in 1920 in addition to the "no suffix," "a" and "b" series. Although your Luger apparently has both "b" and "n" suffixes in odd locations, the others I have observed have only "n" in the proper locations and no evidence of alterations.

* I doubt that the chamber of your Luger has been ground. If your observation that it is "thinner" on top is based on the distance between the flange of the barrel and the edge of the chamber, it is normal for this distance to be less on top than toward the sides.

* Not all of this series is double-dated. Many have only the 1920 manufacture date and no 1920 property stamp.

* Because of my research interests, my data is limited to only those pistols with police propery markings; however, I have observed a number of pistols that apparently were not police owned. If I remember correctly, at least one had Reichswehr markings.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Don M for your post: