View Single Post
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #37
CptCurl
User

All shooting was done with my DWM 1923 Commercial shooter, #7762 l. It is in excellent condition with a 98mm barrel and fine bore. On this forum it would be called an Alphabet Commercial (or something of the sort).

My first thought was to try to capture one of the fired bullets. I filled 8 one gallon milk jugs with water, lined them up and shot. The bullet went through all eight jugs of water and kept going, so all I got from that endeavor was a mess.

I fired 18 more rounds for accuracy and function. Accuracy was so-so; not acceptable from what I have seen with this pistol.

Function was also so-so. There were no failures to eject. There were two failures to fully feed. In those instances the cartridge entered the chamber, but not fully. I think I know why.

The action held open on the last shot every time it was supposed to do so.

I believe my OAL was too long, and that this caused the two failures to fully feed. It appeared to be binding slightly as the cartridge made the corner around the feed ramp going into the chamber. In my next tryout loads I will reduce the OAL to 1.115"

The load shot clean. There was no lead residue in the bore. Powder residue wiped out with a patch and solvent.

I believe with more tinkering a good load will be found. More reports as facts develop.

Curl
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote