Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #50
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Seiger,

I did post the information I found published on the velocity of various 9mm nato rounds in a thread related to this same question- either here or on the other luger forum.

I'm not guessing, data on velocity are published by the manufacturers if you just look.

And it would not be impossible to test, just tedious.

I agree that Nato ammo is not first choice ammo for lugers.

Additional info:
Seems some folks like to test velocity more than I. So in a couple minutes searching I find 6 or more "Nato" velocity tests.
You can watch the videos yourself if you wish:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ty&FORM=VRMHRS

From 5 minutes of watching several videos:
Average velocity in fps of "Nato" named ammo from:
PPU -1120 from 4" bbl, 1244 from 5.5", and 1371 from 8"
Win- 1124
Zqi- 1146

So dig in and read/watch as many as you wish.
Don,

Thanks!

In the comprehensive "Ballistics 101" data you posted last April, there were NO 9mm NATO loadings listed in it. Please confirm.

Please view the video on PPU 9mm NATO again, in FULL detail.

The PPU 124 grain 9mm NATO ammo, as shot through the Glock 19, (4.5 inch barrel, with conventional rifling) had a high of 1,261 fps with an average of 1,245 fps. The same cartridge fired from a Beretta M9 (5.1 inch barrel) had a high of 1.231 fps with an average of 1,212 fps. Please note that these ARE NOT muzzle velocities, but rather, fired at 10 to 12 feet from the barrel.

The same shooter tested Winchester 124 grain 9mm NATO (again, at 10 to 12 feet from the barrel).

S&W M&P, 4.95 inch barrel (very close to the M9 length), high 1,217 fps, 1,207 average.

These verified results would tend speak for themselves.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Here is the other PPU 9mm NATO test.

The same shooter tested PPU 115 grain 9mm NATO (again, 10 to 12 feet from the barrel).

Beretta M9, 5.1 inch barrel, high 1,260 fps, average 1,242 fps.

This load was noticeably hotter than the 124 grain PPU NATO load listed above.

The velocity differences between a 4 inch Luger barrel and the 4.5 inch Glock barrel listed above would not be significant.

Don, I don't know of any other post you may have made on 9mm NATO specs. other than the one I referenced above. Please verify and/or repost.

Thanks!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 10-30-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote