View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Blayne,
I understand where you are coming from about dealers getting defensive when asked about restored Lugers. But I have seen some real good restored Lugers and I have wondered if the reduced prices were justified. While, as a collector, I search for minty guns, I sometimes think that the beautifully restored guns are knocked down too much. Now my comment does not cover the re-blued guns that have been hacked to death or the very rare Lugers which may in fact be counterfeited with restoration possibly hiding altered parts or marking.

On the strawing, the locking bolt is a tough part to restraw without rounding the surface. Amatuers will frequently screw this part up.

I have used the services of a top notch restorer and have been satified with his work. It does bother me when someone asks if one of his guns were restored. I think that if the gun is so good that you have to ask, then the restoration is good enough. Many of the people who ask also walk away without buying no matter what you say. So why do they ask?

Now if the gun is being sold on the internet, then the question is a legitimate and almost a required question. If the seller here says that the parts are all original, that does not mean that it has not been restored. It just means that the parts are original. You have to watch the wording. Words do mean something.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote