View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #1
Yakman
User

Default Aluminum Bottom Mag Marking on Early "v" Suffix DWM Mags

Hope I'm posting this in the proper section.

I have a question about aluminum bottom magazines used by DWM and Mauser prior to 1934.

References state DWM had two contracts to be filled at the time (1929/1930) their Luger inventory and means of production were turned over to Mauser. The two contracts were for the Dutch Navy and for AF Stoeger so marked "three-line" commercial pistols. Mauser filled these two contracts.

As far as magazine bottom marking is concerned, the Dutch pistol's markings would most likely have been stated in their contract, and being military, not germane to this post. I can't find any such reference for AF Stoeger's commercial contract for 125 Luger pistols, all in the "v" suffix range (ser# 400v-524v), except that the third line right side rail roll stamp content was specified. I know there are a few outliers to this range, but I don't know anything about them, so can't say anything about their magazine bottoms that would be useful. Also, I consider any "three-line" Stoeger Luger not in the "v" block as pre 1929/1930 and therefore suspect.

Did DWM use any aluminum bottoms on Commercials (not police) in the late 1920s prior to Luger production, parts, and completed pistols being sent to Mauser in 1929/1930? If so, were any of the aluminum bottoms usually marked Kal 7,65, serial numbered to the pistol, or left blank? I'm interested in very late "u" block and all early "v" block pistols, completed by DWM or assembled by Mauser from DWM parts prior to 1934. All would have DWM marked toggles. Completed pistols vertical Crown/N (C/N) proofed and pistol parts unproofed with toggles DWM marked.

If not DWM, is there any evidence Mauser might have marked Kal 7,65, serial number of pistol, or left blank on DWM aluminum magazine bottoms prior to 1934?

References show Mauser-made nickel-plated, wrapped steel-bodied magazines, with aluminum bottoms marked Kal 7,65. I believe these Mauser-made Magazines would be post 1934 and outside the scope of my question. Who actually produced the aluminum magazine bottoms is also outside the scope of my question.

Stoeger's contract of 125 Luger pistols was not delivered in one batch but over several deliveries of a few guns at a time. These pistols are seen with serial numbered, blank, and 7,65 marked aluminum bottoms. Stoeger did not accept all of the 125 pistols, some of which were sold by Mauser to the Palestine Electric Company. I wonder if the magazine bottom markings changed from batch to batch or remained the same throughout.

I would think if one, a collector, was going to spend a considerable sum on one of Stoeger's three-line pistols one would want some kind of an idea it had a proper magazine. Or any of the Mauser assembled early "v" suffix Lugers for that matter.

Thanks, Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote