View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Balder
User

Gentlemen,

This is the kind of discussion that makes collecting guns interesting. I have been comparing the mark in question to the Kongsberg mark found on the slides of my three M/1914 pistols (Norwegian licensed M1911s) - they are not identical. However, I think space is an issue here. The space available on the spot on the firing pin where they, for some obscure reason, decided to put the stamp is rather limited. The stamp on the M/1914 slide is definitely more frilly, simply because there's way more space available. Also, the firing pin, if it is Norwegian, must have been made/stamped after WW2; the M/1914 stamp is taken from a pistol produced in 1925. As time passed Kongsberg made their Gothic lettering simpler and more conventionalized.

Another point is the fact that the stock of booty German spare parts at some stage must have dried up. What would be more natural than to produce them at the state arsenal at a time when this country was trying to get back on its feet after five years of occupation? There were no other sources of spare parts for the Luger, with the possible exception of costly Switzerland. The Norwegian army and air force kept the Luger and the Walther P-38 as standard sidearms until the adoption of the Glock 17 in the early 80's. The need for spare parts is quite obvious.

I just sent an email to the Kongsberg Arsenal, I'll come back with more information when I get a response.

Dwight,

The firing pin is not marked in any other way.

Balder

Balder is offline   Reply With Quote