Thread: 30 Luger loads
View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
unspellable
User

I have not yet gone very far into the actual loads for the cartridge as there is quite a lot to deal with in the area of recoil springs and other issues before I get to loading, so I can't comment on your loads. But be they right, or be they wrong, they provide useful data. The case expansion seems excessive though. Usually we associate this with excess pressure but given all the other parameters that are wrong before you start, one has to ask: Are the cases undersized? Is the chamber oversized? What are the correct diminsions? Do the SAAMI specs have anything to do with reality? (Not so far.)

What brass are you using?

I would like to see the velocity for the loads that did not cycle the action properly.

There is also the question of what you have for recoil springs.

The impluse for all loads with velocity listed ranges from 0.496 to 0.659 lbf*s. The minimum to operate the 3 7/8" barreled pistol is 0.497, the minumum for the 6" is 0.595. No minimum established for the 4 3/4" barreled pistol. The difference between the 3 7/8" and the 6" is fairly large, I suspect the 6" has a stronger recoil spring.

unspellable
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote