Thread: Luger Value??
View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
Beowulf
User

Thanks for all the responses. The story of the gun is simply this: My father was sitting in a Paducah, Ky., restaurant with two friends. One mentioned the Luger he had brought back from Germany and my father asked if he would sell it, sight unseen, for five hundred dollars. His friend agreed and my father wrote him a check on the spot. After lunch they drove a short distance to the man's home and he retrieved the gun. When his wife saw what was going on she hit the roof and demanded that he not sell it.

My father instantly agreed for forego the deal if it would result in marital disharmony; however, the man told her he had no intention of ever shooting it and besides, a deal was a deal. So with my father offering once again to walk away from it, his friend gave it to him in the holster.

This was many years ago and my father never shot it, either. The clip does have matching serial number, but the spare does not. The holster apparently didn't come with the gun, as observed. It's in fantastic shape and the markings on the back are: "A FISCHER, BERLINC2, 1933." The belt loop looks like it was never used and there's some kind of a gadget in the top that looks like it might be a magazine assister or loader. It's steel and is in great shape.

I will try to take a few more photos, specifically of the holster.

My father's friend died about four or five years ago. His wife never let him forget that he sold it and my father has always regretted the apparent hard feelings that it caused, though the wife never at all held it against him. (My dad said it was probably worth $500 to his friend not to have to hear about it all those times.)

The story, just from my dad's memory, is that his friend had gotten it from an officer, who turned it over with no complaint. He apparently wasn't wearing it and that's about it. My father is still alive and I can have him relate the story again just to make sure I have it right.

Thanks for all the feedback.

John
"Hrothgar's people lived in joy, happy until that wanderer of the wasteland, Grendel the demon, possessor of the moors, began his crimes. He was of a race of monsters exiled from mankind by God--He was of the race of Cain, that man punished for murdering his brother. From that family comes all evil beings...."
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote