Unread 09-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #35
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABAR2 View Post
I want to compliment you on your machine work, very well done!
It's not about garnishing applause. It's about showing what can be done on a budget by a moron with a milling machine. A cheap-ass Chinese piece of sh*t actually. (The mill...not the moron)...

I'm trying to motivate others to roll their own.

Quote:
I'm surprised you weren't temped to either slot or add a stock lug to the Nambu ...
One model of the Nambu (not the Type 14) used a Mauser-like stock-holster with a telescoping attachment. But the backstrap on the Type 14 is too thin (~.165") to mill a slot like the C96 has. Something could be brazed or welded on but that would destroy the profile and be even more uncomfortable to handle and shoot. So I ditched that idea.

But a Walther P38 could have a backstrap made that would hold the mainspring & guide and have a straight slot. Martz did exactly that with his P38 carbine conversions. I may try that, sometime in the future.

I have about a dozen unfinished projects sitting on my shelves, waiting for stock, or tooling, or just plain money. The Nambu can sit for a while...Maybe years...

BTW, I would be remiss if I did not credit Charles Danner with the refinishing of both of these handguns. Charles draw files, sands, and re-cuts any lettering/numbers as well as any logos that may be diminished by the metal removal. He then rust blues and straws the parts. Great job(s)!

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: