View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #27
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I could try a shortened Mauser tangent sight; I'm putting one on my Luger long-barrel. I have a spare. It would sit higher, so I'd have to change the front sight, meaning re-machining the barrel. And having it re-re-finished.

Too much work.
Yeah, too late at this point, and just my opinion anyway. Your photoshops are a good way to visualize it, so that's what I would do if I ever get to it.

Quote:
I don't consider it 'fun'; it's more occupational therapy. A bit of thought, a little creativity, some improvisation of resources...A way to keep my wits sharp...Or at least less dull...
To me, it's a way to "get in the zone" and it's almost like meditating. You're concentrating on one one thing and one thing only, and everything else disappears. It's a zen thing.

Quote:
I have snow 6 months of the year, plus high winds, rain, and changing light patterns from trees losing foliage. My house is surrounded by the trees. A tent is too much trouble. My picnic table (which is only used by sunbathing dogs) is my studio. If I get the energy (plus $$$) I'll get a sheet of plywood and cut it into sections 2' x 3' and paint them light pastel colors for a background.

That sounds like work too. I have adopted Maynard G. Krebs's philosophy about work.
It's not much work at all, it's actually much less work than fooling with makeshift backgrounds. I have one of these, and it takes about 30 seconds to pull it out and put it on the work bench: http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/pbl-ph...g_9957930.html

The greatest benefit is that you have much better control of the glare, so you can take good pictures even in bright sunlight. Just toss a towel over the top, move it back and forth until you get the right lighting, then you're good to go. It takes a lot of frustration out of it.

Can't help you with the snow though... Maybe it's time for you to migrate to a warmer and more gun friendly climate?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote