Unread 01-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
You should know that the .40 S&W has a rim that is too thick for the extractor of the Type 14.
Thanks for reminding me!

I had noticed that it was thicker. On the cases that I had to cut an extractor groove, I also cut a bit off the rim. On the 40 S&W cases, I have manually stuck them in the bore and then racked the slide and they did flip out, so I left the rim alone.

I am not too far gone yet that I can't thin the rims on the 40 S&W cases. I see .042" rim thickness on the print. I'll check my 'test' cases and see how much needs to come off.

I recall seeing an ad or post somewhere about modified extractors for the Type 14 that would accept thick rims. Might have been Don Schlickman...I'll have to check his price list. I sent him a MO for a repro firing pin several weeks ago, maybe I can add an extractor to the buy...

Edit: Checking my 27 'test' 40 S&W cases, I'm seeing .052" rim thickness. The print I have shows .055". I'll rig up my parting tool bit and see what I can do to get it down to .042"...

Pic of the bag my gun club president dropped on me. I should be able to get several hundred out of these.

I forgot to mention that the conversion process does have a failure rate...About 1 in 15 or so is crushed or split during the neck forming operation...
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: