View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Warner,

To be clear, as Ed mentioned, the "a" that appears after the serial number is a suffix that is part of the serial number.

Your Swiss appears to be in wonderful condition, and I believe it's rare.

I am not a Swiss Luger expert, and am basing this post on John Walter's book "The Luger Story".

You have a "New" or "'06 Pattern" Luger.

He lists DWM Commercial manufactured "Swiss Commercial Pattern" in the years 1907 to 1914. They should be 7.65mm (.30 Luger) caliber guns with 120mm barrel. There should be a Swiss Cross on a Sunburst on the top of the receiver. The frame could be of the short or long type, with a grip safety.

There may be a safety marking in German, and the extractor should show "Geladen" when it's loaded.

He lists quantity 1,000 with a question mark, indicating that this is approximate. This has a rarity index of "10" associated with it, with higher being more rare. Since your gun has a grip safety I believe it could be one of these.

He also separately lists a "refurbished" version of this gun, without the grip safety. He lists quantity "675" for this version. This has a rarity index of "7".

This is older information, published 15 years ago.

Marc