Thread: Obama and guns
View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #37
Rod WMG
User

Just think how high the feelings would run if Obama weren't only half black.

And I hope everyone recognizes that as sarcasm. Bigotry is alive and well among the many races of the U. S.. When I was growing up almost everyone I knew was openly bigoted, especially my parents' generation. My parents were less so than most, but not unaffected. As I've stated before, Jim Crow laws were in effect. For one example, water fountains in the courthouse were marked "white" and "colored." A black woman told my wife a few years ago that she wondered as a child what "white water" tasted like. Thank God those days are over and things are somewhat better.

But, living as I do where "whites" are very much in the minority, I have recognized times when I've been discriminated against. Pretty minor for the most part, but not non-existent. And, though much less overt than before, white feelings against other races still exist among people I come into contact with.

Race was a major factor in black voters' support for Obama, as testimony bears out. And some white voters said it was "time a black person were President." Fuzzy thinking on both sides in my view, but inevitable, I suppose. The issues and policies should have been the deciding factors. Just as bad was the likely effect of McCain's age and lack of hair on the voters, IMO.

People are panicky over this election--those on our side, at least. Gloom, despair, and panic buying of guns, ammo, etc. are in evidence. Let's hope and pray not so common sense prevails.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote