View Single Post
Unread 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Sid & Mark...

Sid - actually, don't thank me - it was your question that started all this off!! Great question - that has lead to this investigation..! OK - I did compare the "1940" HK to the following: Simson, DWM, Mauser (several) - but it's slightly different then all...???

Mark - simply outstanding!!!!! In fact - there is a difference to "your Early S" to my later "Early S" and Mid-S Catch the differences in the "G" - and the base-line of the "E"?? Hmmm.. I wonder then, really - how many HK Die types there are? Mr. Gibson notes 3 as "A, B, and C" with all early following the "A" type..? It looks to me like two types were used in the G/S Series (and in some of the P-Series)?

As well - on the 1940 - I'll follow my "hunch" there indeed could be some minor variations during production as noted by Mr. Gibson's "Type B" - and it looks more like Mark's Early S photo above then any other die??!!.. It needs quite a bit more research on both Early and main production years, to be sure..

Also - yep - notice the "G" on the Simson - where the top "descender" is flush with the overall height of the "E"? Also - the block formation is different then the HK... Mark - excellent work, photos and post!!! Our thanks!!!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote