View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #18
CptCurl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi:

Now this little bullet really looks interesting to me!! Good find!!!

One question, how is the weight consistency of these? Are they a quality product?

I don't think a seven grain differential in weight would be material as far as sight regulation goes, as I've never really had a problem between 115 and 125 grain 9mm bullets. Possible down side of 100 grainers vs. 93 grainers, nothing in my book.

If I were loading these, here is where I'd start.

OAL: 29mm

Powder: SR 4756

Charge Development Range: 4.8 grains to about 5.6 grains

I'm going to order some of these, right now, for my own handloading development.

Hope this helps!

Sieger
I am familiar with Ranier bullets in two other applications. They produce a swaged and plated 230 grain bullet for the .45ACP. It's a round nose design that looks just like hardball. It's very well thought of among the .45ACP crowd - both for the 1911 and also for the Thompson Sub Machinegun. They sell them by thousands. It's a great bullet. There are people who say they will shoot nothing but this bullet in a vintage Colt TSMG.

Another Ranier bullet I use is their .50 cal bullet made for the .500 Lindbaugh and others. It's 335 grains and .500". I use that bullet, and have shot many hundreds, in my Purdey .500 3" BPE. I paper patch them to .515" for the rifle. They are the perfect weight (original bullet was 340 grains) and the perfect diameter for paper patching.

The Ranier bullets are excellent quality. I think this little 100 grain .312 bullet should be a gas in the Parabellum. I plan to order some with my next Midway order. If they don't do well in the Luger I'll run them through my little .32 S&W Long.

As for the Meister bullet I was suspicious for the reason you mentioned about the lube groove being too low. I was also worried that the crimp groove might interfere with feeding. In reading through the posts of others who have loaded the 7.65mm I found one post describing feeding trouble caused by such a bullet with the crimp groove exposed and catching on the feed ramp or something.

There are several loaders who report good success with the Hornady bullet.

For the cost conscious (tightwad) loader like me, the Ranier bullet jumps to the front.

Thank you very much for your experienced reply. Please keep me updated on how the Ranier does for you. I suspect you will be shooting them before I do.

Curl
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote