View Single Post
Unread 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Mike,

I've just read through this thread and want you to know that I would be much happier if you felt welcome here and that you could ask questions and share information comfortably.

Any group of people, be it a social gathering, church, or online gun forum, is a place of interaction between individuals. As a whole, they establish a culture and an expectation for what is normal behavior. That said, individuals are human, and have aptitudes and faults and personalities.

When I first joined this forum, I had recently bought my first Luger and was enthusiastic but quite intimidated by the level and depth of knowledge found here on this forum. It was remarkable. I asked questions that were probably considered repetitive and uninteresting by many experienced members - but I got back polite and (if sometimes tolerant) constructive responses.

I soon learned the degree of complexity and judgement that Luger collecting demands, and decided I found this complication interesting and started buying more books than Luger firearms. When I learned a little more and felt confident I understood the truth of a response, I chose to try and help people that came to the forum with that knowledge. I wanted to help share the knowledge and mentor others. I think that this is the path most members here have taken.

I've learned when I'm wrong quite quickly and sometimes forcefully. Sometimes people express their ego and self-importance in the process. Sometimes they are just frustrated or tired of repeating things.

I must admit that some things do frustrate me. When I really want to help answer a question, but things like photographs don't show enough detail for me to even start I find it frustrating. When a question that comes up repeatedly gets asked again I find it frustrating, but do one of two things in response. I either answer what I know about it or I point to some work that I've spent many hours on, the LugerForum FAQ document. In either case, I hope my response is helpful.

Over the years, I have also worked to actively support historic research relating to Lugers and especially Paul Mauser. During that work I also met the true historians in our field and they have taught me many things - both about the firearms themselves and about how to approach researching them and their makers. They have taught me the difference between speculation - thinking I know the answer - and working with documentary evidence to know the answer.

It is my choice to be nice about it when I respond to a posting. It's my experience that most people choose to be both technically and socially constructive here. But, this has not always been the case. All I can say is that it's better here than at almost every other forum I participate in.

Like everyone here, I'm a volunteer. I also highly respect and humbly appreciate those that have mentored me. I hope that over time you can put experiences in perspective and stick around.
The following 10 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: