View Single Post
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:12 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Hi John.....& Hugh!

Hi John! I really don't know why they were different in subtle ways here and there, but if I were to guess, I would think they (the molds) were made to print....so, althought mostly similar, they would exhibit minor differences, especially in finish! This could happen as a result of different manufactures, or different machinists in the same factory! Also molds tend to wear and suffer from adjustments and use, it could be that the Mauser molds suffered from this, as their production numbers were far higher.....As the threaded pin removal theory is just that, theory....I would venture a guess that it was just a positive attempt to have a good part from the mold....if Marvin's theory is correct, then one of the pins would have to be loose, or float in some way, so it could be removed first.....if they found they could get by with just one pin, then the second pin would disappear in a heartbeat!

I think that making the Black Widow grips was not an easy or fast process, certainly many times faster then making walnut grips, but still labor intensive compared with the ease and speed of the plastic parts that are made now!

Perhaps Patrick can querry some of the Germans on this process, I would really like to know if our assumptions have merit.....And, I would love to view your HK collection, we shall have to see what the future holds! Till....later.....G.T.