Thread: My Second Luger
View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
^^now you've got me sitting here wondering what the heck that means - lol.
The whole secret date and manufacturing codes the Nazi's insisted on, leading up to WW-2, was incredible enough. So, for someone in Spain to cross out the date code and acceptance stamps seems futile. It wouldn't fool anyone. The Luger was already a well recognized German icon by that point, not to mention a sky full of German airplanes and bombers during the Spanish civil war (1946-1939), which was probably over by the time this gun arrived.

My guess is that someone wanted all the references to Nazi Germany covered up on that pistol. There is just no way to hide its origin, but covering up the symbols made somebody just feel better.

I'm not doubting your story at all and I hope you can get a first hand account. If it's true, there should be more marked up the same way.

Denial is one ways that Europeans' dealt with the aftermath of WW-2. And, that is what this pistol says to me. It's like never saying a person's name or what we call "Ghosting" today. But, they kept the pistol, just the same - it had value.
Mac Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post: