View Single Post
Unread 01-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default mag correctness

Hi Batty67, you are correct in that the 41 byfs were issued with two matching alum. base magazines, almost impossible to find these days, even one matching mag is hard to find! So, being we are already screwed on the,"manufactures correct" the next best thing is, "collectors correct"
.... What is that?... You might ask, and I'd reply it is the next best and closest option that has the ability to fall into the same range as your Luger? So, we have some additional criteria here, such as type, (in your case, code "122" or "fxo") original condition, (does it compliment or match the condition of the Luger) and alteration, (has it been messed with and/or disassembled?) your mag has had the rivet or retaining pin removed and damaged.
Now the Black Bakelite magazine bottom was issued with the byf 42's going forward, and also as a replacement for the lost and damaged mags from all the previous lugers combined, and more importantly, (to collectors!) It puts more black into a Black Widow rig. Almost all of them are broken, some just cracked and others missing whole sides or knobs. So, (and this can be argued, but it is my contention) I reversed engineered and submitted prints to have a two cavity Bakelite mold made and ran a few parts to repair all the broken "fxo" mags out there. So instead of reproduction, I label them as new replacement parts and install them as such. In my effort with Lugers, I don't really ever do too much, but the things I do try and do, I try to do my very best, and these Bakelite bottoms are some of my best effort results...
Anyway, the above kind of reflects my perception of the ever bending shape shifting hobby we all try to buck out... All of us trying to stay on for the full eight seconds, and then on to the next event! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: